3D and 4D Ultrasound Imaging in Birmingham, AL
Ultrasound imaging is a non-invasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions. Obstetricians use 3D and 4D ultrasound to provide images of the fetus to expectant mothers.
State-of-the-Art Ultrasound Imaging
With the new state-of-the-art 3D and 4D ultrasound imaging, the movements of an unborn baby inside the womb can be seen with a level of clarity that is difficult or impossible to achieve using 2D ultrasound. This is how it is achieved:
3D Ultrasound -provides multiple 2 dimensional images which are manipulated and rendered by a computer to produce lifelike 3 dimensional images of the fetus.
4D Ultrasound– adds time as a fourth dimension and takes a series of three dimensional images over a specific period of time. The results are images that are presented or sequenced as live action/motion pictures of the fetus in the uterus.
Benefits of 3D and 4 D Ultrasound
Conventional 2D ultrasound provides outlines and flat looking images. This can be used to see the internal organs of the baby and is helpful in diagnosing heart defects, issues with the kidneys and other conditions.
3D ultrasound provides the first pictures of your baby in the womb complete with facial features etc. It may also be helpful in diagnosing readily observable external conditions such as a cleft lip.
With 4D ultrasound imaging, you can have the first movies of your baby in the womb. With it, you can see hand and finger movement, yawning, swallowing and blinking. For women and their families, this dynamic and real time imaging provides a positive bonding experience between them and their unborn baby.
Having Your 3D or 4D Ultrasound Examination
- When to have an exam. To obtain the best images of your baby, the best time to have this exam is between 27 and 32 weeks of your pregnancy.
- Exam length. Many factors that can affect the duration of a 3D or 4D ultrasound examination, the most important of which is the position of the baby in the womb. A typical exam lasts about 15-20 minutes. Occasionally, the baby’s position prevents obtaining good images of his/her face.
- Preparation. There are no special preparations other than wearing comfortable and loose-fitting clothing.
- Risks. There are no known risks to you and your unborn child.
- Determining the sex of your infant. With the cooperation of the baby during the imaging session, 3D and 4D ultrasound can provide an indication of your baby’s sex.
Note: 3D and 4D ultrasound imaging does not eliminate your need for routine care and the diagnostic ultrasound examinations associated with it. These examinations are intended to help determine the proper development of the fetus and check for any anomalies.
3D Ultrasounds at Birmingham OBGYN
Birmingham Obstetrics and Gynecology is one of the few Ob/Gyn practices in Alabama to have state of the art 3D and 4D Ultrasound technology. Call our office today at (205) 933-8334 to schedule your appointment today!